"To have a curriculum which inspires, motivates and maximised the potential of all students by delivering the curriculum and more, through imaginative and effective lessons in an awe inspiring environment"
Our long term aim is to produce a thinking, adaptable adult capable of taking their place in a changing society. We strive to create a distinctive and dynamic partnership between students and staff in the Department through our level of care, concern and professionalism.Â Thus ensuring that our students have developed a broad range of personal attributed and are ready and able to progress into employment, further training or higher education according to their individual aptitudes and ambitions.Â The Departments general aims are:Â
1) The foster creative thinkers
2) To instil problem solving skills in our learners
3) To stimulate the development of a range of skills that enable students to communicate and realise their ideas.Â Â
4) To promote the development of curiosity, determination and reflective thinking.
5) To encourage technological awareness, foster attitudes or co-operation and social responsibility, and develop abilities to enhance the quality of the environment.
6) Utilise the use of new technologies whenever possible.Â
7) To ensure all students have the knowledge and skills to feed themselves and others, nutritiously and affordably.Â Â
8) To instil a sense of pride in what students create. be it food or prototypes.Â
Students are taught:
Year 7 Design & Technology
Robot â€“ Timbers and mixed materials project
Safety Light - Electronics and Polymers project
Tote Bagâ€“ Textiles project
Year 7 Food and Nutrition
A series of foundation skills, mainly focusing on snacks for a balanced diet
Year 8 Design & Technology
Pull along toy â€“ Timbers project
USB colour changing mood lamp - Electronics and mixed materials project
Soft Toy â€“ Textiles project
Year 8 Food and Nutrition
Building on skills learnt in Year 7, mainly focusing on meals for a balanced diet.
Design and Technology GCSE â€“ with Edexcel exam board
Within D&T we offer students to chance to specialise in either wood/metal/plastics or textiles
Food preparation and nutrition â€“ with AQA exam board
Hospitality and Catering CourseÂ
KS3 Design and Technology club
KS4 Extra support for GCSE
Wildern bake off competition
In recent years we have taken students to the Southampton boat show, Laverstock farm, Cadbury world, Big Bang Show to name but a few.