What the Government says...
GCSE specifications in Business must include coherent and rigorous content. They should enable students to understand more about the business world. They should enable students to develop as commercially minded and enterprising individuals who think critically, drawing on business information and evidence to develop arguments and make justified decisions. GCSE specifications in business should motivate and challenge students, and prepare them to make informed decisions about further study and career pathways.
What we do...
Massive emphasis on students producing target level work â€“ at the first time of asking
Assessment & Progress:
- Assessment style (exam) questions will be posed to students regularly
- Initially these questions will be targeted non-specifically and will aid the students understanding of the requirements of a written exam
- Eventually, through the use of our accurate Step descriptors and the specification Assessment Objectives, we will then be able to target individual learners needs and questions, based upon their aspirational target grades
About the courseâ€¦
GCSE Business enables you to understand more about the business world. It enables you to develop as a commercially minded and enterprising individual who think critically, drawing on business information and evidence to develop arguments and make justified decisions. GCSE Business will motivate and challenges you, and prepare you to make informed decisions about further study and career pathways.
The course is designed to enable you to:Â
- know and understand business concepts, business terminology, business objectives, the integrated nature of business activity and the impact of business on individuals and wider societyÂ
- apply knowledge and understanding to contemporary business issues and to different types and sizes of businesses in local, national and global contextsÂ
- develop as an enterprising individual with the ability to think commercially and creatively to demonstrate business awareness, and draw on evidence to make informed business decisions and solve business problemsÂ
- develop as an effective and independent student, and as a critical and reflective thinker with an enquiring mindÂ
- use an enquiring, critical approach to make informed judgementsÂ
- investigate and analyse real business opportunities and issues to construct well-argued, well-evidenced, balanced and structured arguments, demonstrating your depth and breadth of understanding of businessÂ
- develop and apply quantitative skills relevant to business, including using and interpreting data
GCSE Business will enhance your knowledge and understanding of:
- Business activity
- Influences on business
- Business operations
- Human resources
- Use of quantitative skills
GCSE Business consists of two externally-examined papers that are 50% of the qualification each.
Theme 1: Investigating small business (1hr 30mins)
- Enterprise and entrepreneurship
- Spotting a business opportunity
- Putting a business idea into practice
- Making the business effective
- Understanding external influences on business
Theme 2: Building a business (1hr 30mins)
- Growing the business
- Making marketing decisions
- Making operational decisions
- Making financial decisions
- Making human resource decisions
- A Level Accounting
- A Level Business Studies
- NVQ Level 3 Certificate in Business and Administration
- BTEC Level 3 Business and Services